Back pain is a common condition that affects many people. It is a pain felt along the back – it can be caused by an incorrect position during sleep, a spinal disorder or injuries. Back pain is often caused by a sedentary lifestyle. In preventing this ailment, it is important to have a healthy lifestyle as well as physical activity and correct posture.
What are backaches?
Back pain is a common condition, with many reasons, making it an appropriate 100% diagnosis is very difficult. It applies to the whole spine area from the neck to the tailbone. However, it usually affects the lumbar region, neck and neck. Back pain is most common in people whose work is sedentary; they do not perform any physical activity or have bad posture habits. In women walking in high heels increases the risk of this ailment. Inadequate habits in posture can lead to more serious conditions, such as scoliosis or lordosis, which cause pain in almost every part of the back. The pain is diagnosed only when we feel its intensity, for example during lifting or inactivity. On the other hand, back pains that have a different cause do not get worse when moving, so they may suggest the presence of more serious diseases.
Causes of back pain
Staying in a standing position or sitting at work for a long time, and later at home in front of a computer or TV, using the elevator and car – all this means that we are moving less and more and more kilograms are coming. This is due to the attitudes arising in childhood, often taking from bad habits, such as slouching, lifting a school bag on one shoulder or taking a poor body position in a school bench, etc.
All of these factors lead to a worsening of the spine’s elasticity, its uneven loading, weakening of the back muscles and their over-voltage. The result is pain, which can be eliminated by regular movement such as gymnastics, swimming, or frequent changes in body position. In the absence of improvement, it is worth taking advantage of a series of professional rehabilitation or massages that have a relaxing effect on tense muscles.
Back pain can also be caused by many conditions, including:
- falling out of the disk; this name means a hernia of the intervertebral disc, which causes severe pain, sensation and mobility problems;
- vertebral fractures, e.g. due to osteoporosis;
- injuries in the form of dislocation or sprains of the spine caused, for example, by sudden, sharp braking while driving a car;
- degenerative changes in the vertebra caused by the aging of the human body, inflammatory diseases and micro damages;
- rheumatic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis.
Other (non-vertebral) causes of back pain:
- aortic dissection,
- acute meningitis,
- pneumonia or pleurisy,
- temporomandibular joint syndrome,
- discomfort of the urinary system, in the form of prostatitis or pyelonephritis,
- Paget’s bones disease,
- abdominal aortic aneurysm,
- autoimmune disorders in which the immune system attacks its own tissues, e.g. ankylosing arthritis, arthritis in the course of inflammatory bowel diseases,
- inflammation of the pancreas,
- dissection of the carotid or vertebral artery,
- ovarian cancer,
- Ectopic pregnancy,
- angina pectoris.
Back pain in their lower part
Pain in the lumbar region is mainly associated with diseases of the osteoarticular system. When the cause of pain is the degenerative disease of the spine – it radiates to the lower limbs to even the buttocks. Pain in the lumbar region hinders daily functioning. Other factors that increase pain in the bottom of the spine:
- bone tuberculosis,
- postural defects (of congenital nature),
- spinal tumor,
- pelvic and spine injuries.
Backache – treatment
At the beginning you should think about exercises that strengthen the muscles of the back and back. For this purpose, you can go to the gym or swimming pool, which is especially recommended for people who are struggling with these kinds of ailments. In addition, pay attention to the position that we take both day and night. If your work requires long-term sitting in front of a computer – take breaks every now and then to perform simple exercises (short walk, arms start, head movement).
In the case of painful back pain, it is worth:
- take a warm bath,
- take a painkiller,
- rub in a sore spot warming or painkilling,
- apply warm compresses,
- lie in a comfortable position to relieve the sore spine.
Typically, back pain is not a serious condition, but there may be situations in which his presence should be an immediate indication for a doctor’s visit, e.g.
- back pain lasts over a week,
- in the patient, in addition to pain, high temperature and chills occur,
- in patients, limb paresis and mobility problems occurred,
- the cause of back pain is difficult to diagnose,
- back pain is very severe and appears suddenly,
- In finding the cause of back pain, imaging tests are used. If necessary, painkillers or physical therapy are implemented.
How to prevent back pain?
- Take care of the right amount of physical activity.
- Try to avoid bending your body, for example when sitting for long periods or carrying a heavy bag on one arm.
- At work, make sure that your position has the right height of the desk, comfortable chair and backrest. The computer screen should be facing the face, while the chair should be adjusted.
- Avoid hard physical work.
- Take care of a well-matched mattress and a sleeping pillow.
- Try to implement a larger amount of vitamins, minerals and protein to your diet. The most needed is calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamins D3 and B6.
- Do not allow you to be overweight or obese (if you already have it, put away unnecessary kilograms).
- If you need to lift a heavy object, bend your knees instead of bending down and lift it up.
- Household appliances should also be adapted to your height, eg a cot, an ironing board, a kitchen counter.
- Women should limit walking on high heels to prevent the spine curvature and lumbar spine from getting worse.
- Try to rest and change position at regular intervals to prevent any contractions and muscle overloads.
- When you are talking on the phone – do not press the handset with the bar.